Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jellyfish: Cnidarians(class response)


In class, we learned about cnidarians. I was fascinated by the interesting cnidarian known as the jellyfish. Now, I've seen Spongebob and I know that jellyfish sting. Yet I thought it was cool to find out more about them. One particular aspect that is cool is their reproductive cycle. A male jellyfish releases sperm and the sperm grows into a polyp on a rock. Then, parts of the polyp break off and swim away from relatively stationary polyp. Another interesting fact is that when plant fertilizer gets into water, it can mutate the jellyfish into much larger jellyfish. There are some jellyfish that can glow, just like fireflies. Overall, I think that jellyfish are pretty interesting for such a simple life form.

No comments: